viernes, 24 de mayo de 2019

5 / 24 / 19 Week 5: Cultural Miscommunication

Cultural Miscommunication can greatly harm the relationship between people. In Peru we usually greet someone, giving us a kiss on the cheek, but in other parts of the world, people just hold hands. For Latin Americans it seems that people feel that they do not like you if you reject their kiss on the cheek.

Our Peruvian culture is very diverse. Currently there are many Venezuelan citizens living in Peru and although we are part of the same continent, there are some differences between us. For example, many of them tend to speak very loudly in my culture, talking in this way is not appropriate.

We Latin Americans are very passionate and that is reflected in the behavior they have when they support the soccer team. Last year after thirty years the Peruvian soccer team could go to the World Cup, many people for their fanaticism and passion got into debt, sold their houses and only with the intention of supporting their Peruvian soccer team.

Now, from my perspective in education, this scanty information on culture often generates problems in the classroom. I remember that I once had a student who came from Huancavelina-it's a city in the mountains of Peru and it's very cold-so he used to come dressed in a sweater and "chullo" (typical wool hat from the Peruvian highlands) even though It was summer  in Lima. The other students used to make fun of him, it is for this reason that I decided to do something to stop that situation. I made a PPT about the city of Huancavelica, showing how beautiful and special it is and the natural and metallurgical riches it has, I also played a video of that city. From that day the students stopped harassing him and improved his learning.

I believe whether we have a peaceful study environment and students learn to respect each other, their learning and language acquisition process will be easier and more permanent.

4 comentarios:

  1. Hi Patricia,
    I enjoyed reading your blog, because I'm from Mexico and agree with what you explained. I have many friend from Peru, so I know what are you talking about, and you know? Its very sad to see that within our countries are all this kind of differences and our own people make fun o it. In Mexico is the same people from the four parts of Mexico are totally different. North accents are more aggressive to the ones not familiar with. Same with West and East, U'm from the Southern area of Mexico City and when I first visited Tijuana for instance, everybody made fun of my accent. I suffered a high level of bulling just for being from Mexico City.
    Those are some of the things we have to teach our students and set rules since the beginning of the course to have all our students to respect each other.
    Thank you for your post! I enjoyed reading it.
    Love,
    Rosa

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Rosa, thanks for reading my blog. I really liked that we set rules since the beginning of our course. And also I think we should repeat these rules every time we need them. I'll take your advice :)

      Borrar
  2. I agree with you that a cultural education will avoid bullying because students will understand that there are other cultures and ways of feeling and thinking; Clothing is sometimes part of the identity of a culture.

    ResponderBorrar