jueves, 30 de mayo de 2019

5 / 30 / 19 Week 6: Individualism vs. Collectivism

I want to start by giving examples of what would describe the difference between collectivism and individualism. Currently in Peru there are many authorities who are being investigated and imprisoned for corruption but these people were chosen to benefit and help compatriots however the facts and evidence indicate that only these authorities see their personal and individual benefit instead of the group or collective that corresponds.

Peru is divided into twenty-five regions, Lima being the capital of Peru and at the same time the most populated city in the country because everything is centralized here. People migrate from their hometown to better their condition of life, study and work. And many of these people who emigrate from the interior of the country have different customs and are collectivist because they tend to be very close in their hometown, they usually carry out activities for the benefit of all. On the other hand in Lima people are very individualistic, they usually think only of themselves. If a person is robbed in the street of the city of Cajamarca, all the neighbors come together to punish the thief. In Lima if they see that they are robbing you, nobody goes to help.

Now I am going to reflect these definitions in the classroom. I usually ask my students to make group for certain English projects, which can be conversations, theatrical performances, etc; but many of them do not want to talk to each other and have a hard time socializing and this is a problem for themselves because all people must be prepared and know how to work in a group.

Another problem could be that young people tend to follow certain trends and attitudes that often are not the best. And I see this type of collectivism even with the young men and women of the church. We as members must teach with our example and acts because that is what we are.

I think if I had students with different cultures, I would seek information about their customs to learn how to deal with them, then I would talk to the students in general and I would ask them to be tolerant and kind to everyone and finally as a daughter of God and mother. teach my own daughters about accepting other cultures and I would even talk with the parents of my students to raise awareness about this topic. And how else could I help my students?

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario